How Long and How Often Should You Do It?
28 November, 2023
Many people wonder how long they can do electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) training for, how long is the session and how many times can they train per week.
EMS is a type of exercise that uses electrical impulses to stimulate muscle contractions. It is a relatively new form of exercise, but it has quickly become popular among athletes and fitness enthusiasts alike. EMS training is often used to improve muscle strength, endurance, and recovery.
In this blog post, we will discuss the recommended duration of an EMS training session and how often you should train. We will also provide some tips for using EMS safely and effectively.
How long should an EMS training session last?
In any form of exercise, there are always rules about the best time, length, and number of sessions per week for optimal results. Many people wonder how this works with electrical muscle stimulation (EMS).
The recommended duration of an EMS training session is 20 minutes, regardless of your fitness goals or experience level. I know you’re probably sceptical about a 20-minute workout being effective, but trust me, EMS training is no joke. It’s so intense that it activates up to 90% of your muscle fibres, which is why a single session can be as effective as 3 to 4 hours of traditional training.
So how does it work? EMS training uses electrical impulses to stimulate your muscles causing them to contract. This type of training is highly effective because it forces your muscles to work harder than they would on their own.
And because EMS training is so intense, you only need to do it for 20 minutes per session. That’s right, just 20 minutes! So, if you’re short on time, this is the perfect workout for you.
However, the intensity of the workout can be adjusted to match the individual’s fitness level.
A study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that EMS training was equally effective as traditional weight training in improving muscle strength and hypertrophy. However, the EMS training sessions were only 20 minutes long, while the traditional weight training sessions were 60 minutes long.
The study concluded that EMS training is a time-efficient and effective way to improve muscle strength and hypertrophy.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your EMS training sessions:
- Start with short sessions (15 to 20 minutes) and gradually increase the duration as you become more comfortable.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- Listen to your body and take breaks when needed.
- Be sure to warm up before your workout and cool down afterwards.
- Focus on proper form and technique.
How often should you use EMS?
It is important to give your muscles time to recover between EMS training sessions. Most experts recommend training with EMS 2 to 3 times per week. However, if you are new to EMS training, it is best to start with one session per week and gradually increase the frequency as you become more comfortable.
The number of EMS sessions per week will also depend on whether you do any other type of training. If you are combining EMS training with other types of training, you may want to reduce the number of EMS sessions per week to 2 sessions. If EMS training is the only exercise you are doing, you may be able to do up to 3 EMS sessions per week.
In other words:
- If you are new to EMS training: Start with one session per week and gradually increase the frequency to 2-3 sessions per week as you become more comfortable.
- If you are combining EMS training with other types of training: You may want to reduce the number of EMS sessions per week to 2 sessions.
- If EMS training is the only exercise you are doing: You may be able to do up to 3 EMS sessions per week.
How to use EMS Safely and Effectively:
It is important to have a certified personal trainer with you during your EMS session.
A certified personal trainer can help you to:
- Set the intensity and duration of your session safely.
- Monitor your progress and make sure that you are getting the most out of your workouts.
- Develop a personalized EMS training plan that is tailored to your individual goals and fitness level.
- Perform exercises correctly.
- Push yourself harder.
In addition to EMS training, a proper diet is essential for achieving your fitness goals.
Here are some tips for combining EMS training with a proper diet:
- Eat a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein.
- Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive amounts of saturated and unhealthy fats.
- Eat a small, healthy snack before your EMS session to provide you with energy.
- Eat a protein-rich meal within 30 minutes of your EMS session to help your muscles recover and repair.
Here are some additional safety tips to keep in mind:
- Do not use EMS if you have a pacemaker or other implanted medical device.
- Do not use EMS if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not use EMS if you have epilepsy or other neurological conditions.
- Do not use EMS if you have open wounds or skin conditions.
- Drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after your EMS session.
- Avoid having a heavy meal 30 minutes before your workout.
If you have any concerns, talk to your doctor before using EMS.
EMS training is a safe and effective way to improve muscle strength, endurance, and recovery. However, it is important to start slowly and gradually increase the intensity and frequency of your training sessions as you become more comfortable.
EMS training can be a great addition to any fitness routine, but it is important to be realistic about your goals and expectations. EMS training is not a magic bullet for weight loss or muscle gain. It is simply a tool that can help you achieve your fitness goals more quickly and efficiently.
Whether you are a beginner or an experienced athlete, EMS training can help you reach your fitness goals. With consistent effort and dedication, you can see results in a relatively short amount of time.
To learn more about EMS training and how it can help you achieve your fitness goals, contact us today on 1300 20 20 73 for a free consultation.